Tuesday, February 10, 2009

february wind.

Been another minute since i updated this thing. Things have been pretty busy, especially at school. Lots of little projects in each class have been converging and forcing me to stay on my toes. It's been pretty fun though. Since the new semester started and classes switched around i find myself having a foundation laid out and actually teaching rather than stressing what i'm going to do the next day.

So two weekends ago i headed up to the mountain on super bowl sunday. None of my friends in Portland were really down for heading up to the mountain... football... ehh. I'm usually not down with just cruising by myself, but i ended up having a blast. The weather was amazing, a little on the chilly side in the morning, but then the sun came out. There were absolutely no lift lines due to the game. I'm used to riding with my friends out here cruising around the mountain finding little natural jumps, hips, cliffs, trees, etc. to ride. No one's really down for hitting the park, but it's cool because i have a blast riding the other stuff. Back in ohio all we do is ride park/street. So because i was riding by myself i decided to lap the park all day. There were two jumps back to back, a low line, and high line (smaller jump/bigger jump) the low line was maybe 25 feet, and the high line was 35-40ish? After feeling out the speed situation, started spinning the high line jumps. It felt real good to get some jumps in, i miss riding with the dudes back in ohio, where all we do are these kinds of freestyle maneuvers. The jumps led into the halfpipe, so it was a ton of fun, and quite the workout. After a solid three hours, my legs were jelly, and i laughed as i had difficulty moving around when i got home. I took the hood river route back to the peninsula, and stopped in hood river to grab a bite to eat.

This past weekend started by heading up to the varsity basketball game on friday. Nick was going to be up this weekend with his family. This weekend was another clam tide, this time i was a lot more prepared than last. I actually had boots that fit, rather than trying to squeeze my size 12 foot into a size 9.5 boot... ouch. The weather was amazing and the tide was in the afternoon.
I met up with Nick's family and friends, and we were rolling pretty deep, like 20 of us or something crazy like that. It was so easy to spot the clams this time, Nick and i got our 15 limit in like 20 minutes. Afterwards, we helped everyone else get their 15 limit.
We got back to Nick's place and decided to collect some "steamers". Apparently you can grab these little mini clams out on the bay, and i didn't know till a few days ago that i can do this in my backyard. Usually Nick's family would take a boat to Long Island to collect the steamers. However, with Kim's bayfront property we drove to my house, put on the boots and headed out.
We walked out with little mini garden rakes. The clams like to hang out in gravel bars. So basically you take the rake, rake through the gravel, and they're hanging out right there... easy enough.

Nick and i walking out as the sun sets behind us.


Nick raking.


This is a photo i took from the other day, before i knew what these guys were all about.


Sunday i went back out during low tide to try and collect some more clams. I got two, then a rogue wave came and went over the tops of my boots. My feet were soaked and i was sad, so i said screw this and went home...

I have been doing out on the bay recently and taking a lot of pictures when the tide is out, now that i have some boots. Here are some of the photos from these adventures...

Real nice day on the bay.


Sun setting.


An old decaying log.



These next few i took last night at around 9pm. I took my tripod, a flatten cardboard box, and my camera of course and got some neat photos leaving the shutter open at various time intervals.
(be sure to click on the photos to see the detail, and stars in the background)












Lastly, Sans left me a comment saying they need pictures of kiki. Well if you read this thing sans here you go.

Kiki being an idiot and trying to squeeze into the smallest cardboard box...


Good job...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

less talk, more cats!

stephenblasko said...

haha next post i'll just throw up pictures of my cats.

John Proppe said...

I totally agree with an all cat post.

Sarah said...

Nice photographs bro.. I especially like the ones of kiki and lazarus :) Going along with the trend, I also think you need an all cat post!