Sunday, September 21, 2008

weekends.

The weekend turned out to be a real good time. Friday after school came back and just hung out at my place. Was thinking about checking out the game up at the high school to "show support" but realized at 8pm that the game started at 7pm, oh well.
Saturday got a wake up call from Jules to come out and surf. It was at 9am and i totally couldn't wake up for some reason. It's cool though because there were plans of an afternoon session. I casually woke up ate some breakfast, and headed to the shop to hang out. Once we got out, we realized the waves were sooo sick. On the "outside" (where the waves start to form) some of the swells were pushing double overhead or about ten-twelve feet. Getting past these waves to the outside proved to be a challenge, but once we were out we had a chance to take a break. Once we were out there saw a bunch (or maybe the same) of seals, and a dolphin dude jump out of the water. Catching the waves from the outside as big as they were was somewhat of a challenge. My success rate was probably 50% but there was one i stood up on from the top that felt amazing. After being out for close to three hours we were all beat. The kind of beat after a good snowboarding session. Jules, Nick, and myself went to the local thai food restaurant, and got the "super sized" dishes.
It was Jules last night in town before heading back up to Victoria, BC for the winter. Before locking up the shop, he gave me a shirt, and pretty much let me have one of the softtop boards for the winter. Just needed to throw a couple fins on the bottom and it's good to go. I can't thank Jules enough for all the help he's given me oer the past few weeks. Without him there'd be no way i would have gotten out half as much, and learn as much as i have. I plan on heading up to Victoria for a weekend, and going up to Whistler with Jules sometime this winter.
Today, i went across the river to Seaside to pick up the fins i needed from Cleanline. I would have stopped in Astoria for their sunday market, but it was raining a bit. Picked up some groceries and headed back up to the peninsula. Made dinner, and took the canoe out.

It was super calm out on the bay.


Random funny picture i took on the roadtrip out here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Too bad you couldn't make it up to the game haha. I'm sure you could have gotten some good photos out of it. That's pretty cool that you have made friends so quickly, and that they are helping you get out more. I joined that website blipfoto.com and its kind of helping me get out, or at least think about it more, in pursuit of interesting photos to take for my daily post.

Strangely enough, I've heard that phrase on the sign before "No shoes, no shirt, no service" I am thinking it was from a movie or a tv show or something that had something to do with surfers because I guess stereotypically, they dont' wear shirts. Or shoes. Or something :)